First dismantling project in reactor O2 approved
The Swedish Radiation Safety Authority, SSM, has issued its approval of OKG Aktiebolag's (OKG) revised safety analysis report (SAR) on segmentation of the reactor internals and fuel boxes at the reactor Oskarshamn 2 (O2) of the Oskarshamn nuclear power plant. The decision means that OKG can begin dismantling of O2's internal components.
Celebrating 90 Years of Expertise – Radiation Protection in the Next Decade
In 2018 ICRP and ICRU celebrate their respective 90th anniversaries. To celebrate these anniversaries, the Swedish Radiation Safety Authority, in collaboration with ICRP and ICRU, will host a two-day colloquium in Stockholm on 17-18 October 2018. The colloquium will highlight 90 years of radiation science and radiation protection, with a focus on what is on the horizon in terms of developments in the sciences and the evolution of society. Registration is free of charge.
Emergency planning zones
A Precautionary Action Zone (PAZ) extending approximately five kilometres, an Urgent Protective Action Planning Zone (UPZ) extending around 25 kilometres, and a supplementary Extended Planning Distance (EPD) of 100 kilometres surrounding Swedish nuclear power plants: these areas were proposed on 1 November by the Swedish Radiation Safety Authority in a report covering a review assignment on emergency planning zones and emergency planning distances in Sweden. This report has been forwarded to the Swedish Government.
Some of the Swedish Radiation Safety Authority’s regulations (SSMFS) are available in English.
- 2018:13 Prestudy - Detectors for variance measurements
- 2018:09 Recent Research on EMF and Health Risk, Twelfth report from SSM's Scientific Council on Electromagnetic Fields, 2017
- 2018:08 Calculated radiological consequences of applying European clearance levels to scrap metal from the decommissioning of Swedish nuclear facilities
- 2018:01 Monte Carlo patient-specific pre-treatment QA system for volumetric modulated arc therapy
- 2017:36 Topical Peer Review 2017 Ageing Management Swedish National Assessment Report
- New regulations introduce obligatory notification
- Sweden’s national report on Joint Convention up for review on 22 May
- The Swedish Radiation Safety Authority approves first dismantling project in reactor O2
- New Swedish action plan for reducing the health effects of radon
- Announced availability of funding for senior researcher position in the field of aquatic radioecology