Pronouncement on repository applications
The Swedish Radiation Safety Authority, SSM, has undertaken a regulatory review of the Swedish Nuclear Fuel and Waste Management Company's (SKB) licence applications for final disposal of spent nuclear fuel. The review found that SKB has the potential to meet the requirements of the Act on Nuclear Activities concerning safe final disposal. On 23 January 2018, SSM, in its capacity as a preparatory authority, submitted its pronouncement to the Government regarding SKB's licence applications.
Sweden's implementation of the obligations of the Joint Convention
The Swedish Radiation Safety Authority has produced a report on Sweden’s implementation of the obligations of the Joint Convention on the safety of spent fuel management and on the safety of radioactive waste management. On 23 October, this report was submitted to the Government of Sweden and the IAEA.
Emergency planning zones
A Precautionary Action Zone (PAZ) extending approximately five kilometres, an Urgent Protective Action Planning Zone (UPZ) extending around 25 kilometres, and a supplementary Extended Planning Distance (EPD) of 100 kilometres surrounding Swedish nuclear power plants: these areas were proposed on 1 November by the Swedish Radiation Safety Authority in a report covering a review assignment on emergency planning zones and emergency planning distances in Sweden. This report has been forwarded to the Swedish Government.
Some of the Swedish Radiation Safety Authority’s regulations (SSMFS) are available in English.
- 2018:08 Calculated radiological consequences of applying European clearance levels to scrap metal from the decommissioning of Swedish nuclear facilities
- 2018:01 Monte Carlo patient-specific pre-treatment QA system for volumetric modulated arc therapy
- 2017:37 Non-Ionising Radiation in Swedish Health Care
- 2017:36 Topical Peer Review 2017 Ageing Management Swedish National Assessment Report
- 2017:35 Review of paleo-, historical and current seismicity in Sweden and surrounding areas with implications for the seismic analysis underlying SKI report 92:3
- 2017:33 SSM’s external experts’ review of SKB’s safety assessment SR-PSU – dose assessment, Kd-values, and safety analysis methodology
- 2017:32 COMRAD – Comprehensive investigation of the performance of computed and digital radiography
- 2017:31 SSM’s external experts’ review of SKB’s safety assessment SR-PSU – rock engineering and concrete barriers
- Sweden the pioneer country for a new international forum on safety culture
- Comment of the Swedish Radiation Safety Authority on the pronouncement of the Land and Environment Court
- Swedish Radiation Safety Authority issues pronouncement on final disposal
- Final pronouncement on repository applications in early 2018
- National assessment report submitted on ageing management of nuclear power plants