During the period 2014-2018, a CEN1 workshop (Phase 2 Prospective Group 3 civil works) have been carried out. The aim of the workshop is to provide a base founded on the French standard in order to be able to establish a possible future European standard for the design of civil structures at nuclear power plants. The workshop has identied which additional investigations, research activities and changes that must be made on the existing French standard. CEN is the organization that issues the Eurocodes, which in Sweden is applied for the design of conventional civil structures as well as nuclear reactors and other nuclear facilities. Representatives from France, Germany, England, Poland, Finland and Sweden, among others have been part of the workshop.
This report present the proposals identied by the Prospective Group 3 civil works. There are 12 identied proposals and they are all French code evolution proposals. None are research development proposals.
Some of the identied proposals are to:
- Develop the management and quality assurance guidelines related to latest development in codes and standards.
- Add an appendix for defence in depth design of civil works for containment building of Nuclear Power Plant.
- Add an appendix for defence in depth / safety concept of civil works for pools in nuclear facilities.
- Editing the damping ratios for di-erent structural materials.
- Editing some load combinations.
- Update the guidelines regarding the protection against aircraft crash, as a design extension hazard.
- Update the guidelines with the most important cases of special concrete.
- RCC-CW’s consistency to EN2 -206 (Concrete – Part 1: Specication, performance, production and conformity) The results from the workshop is important in order to be able to establish a possible future European standard for the design of civil structures at nuclear power plants.
The results are valuable when it comes to future radiation safety assessments of civil structures in nuclear facilities and for future development of the SSM report “Design Guide for Nuclear Civil Structures (DNB)” (2017:07). DNB has been developed from Eurocodes and is aimed to be used for the design of civil structures at nuclear power plants in Sweden. It is important that SSM follows the work within this area, in order to develop a European code that is applicable for the design of civil structures at nuclear power plants.